Humanity's Evolution, Part V

 By Renee Hughes

A look of resignation grew on Gershom's face. He also felt the tides of opinion shifting against him.

"The planet project is our future and if the only way it will be approved is by providing guidance to the new physical entities then it must be done," he said. His comments were directed at the audience, but he also glanced in my direction.

Ezekiel then took over. "I guess our next question is how much guidance to give them."

"I humbly suggest that experts in the field such as myself and Anna are given permission to determine the extent of our involvement," Gershom said.

The man was definitely full of surprises. First he argued for no involvement and now he was suggesting that the two of us should work together to create a plan! I didn't like the way he was inserting himself into this project but I wasn't going to object. Despite his personal views, there was no one else who understood the inner workings of human societies like he did. I needed him.

"Agreed," I said.

Ezekiel nodded his head and I heard murmurs of approval from those in attendance. He then turned to us. "Is there anything more either one of you wants to say?" he asked.

I gave a negative shake of my head.

"This is really Anna's lecture," Gershom said. I had to suppress a desire to roll my eyes. Now he wants to defer to me!

"The 21st century lecture is over," Ezekiel said to those assembled. "We will now honor our ancestors by providing you with culinary delights from that century. After the feast, Sandra, an expert on the First Age of Enlightenment, will speak, then Dave will discuss the Candace Age and finally we will hear from the scientists proposing the planet project."

The loud murmur of voices filled the air. "I owe you an apology," Ezekiel's voice said cutting through the noise. He stood on my left a contrite look on his face. "I should have tried harder to understand your point of view. It never occurred to me that our changeable natures could make it so hard to understand our ancestors."

"That is the problem with evolution. The more we grow the less we understand what we once were, and the only way to recapture that understanding is to devote time and energy to relearning it," I said shrugging my shoulders. "We are on the cusp of a historic breakthrough with the planet project, future generations may have a hard time understanding our point of view."

A thoughtful look grew on Ezekiel's face. "Very true and I hope when that time comes someone like you will be there to reveal it to them." He then excused himself. I was touched by his words.

Michael joined me next. "You were very impressive," he assured me as we watched the banquet growing before our eyes. Tables were popping up everywhere along with a dizzying assortment of foods. I am sure our ancestors would have been bowled over the by the sheer number and diversity of the dishes provided. The tantalizing smells made me appreciate having a nose again.

"Are you going to partake of the meal?" I asked him.

"Oh yes!" he said his eyes alight. "It has been a long time since I have tasted food." He and I walked over to the nearest table together. He picked up what I knew as a sandwich dripping a yellowish white sauce. Michael held it before my noise allowing me to pick up its unique scent. "What is this?" he asked me.

I had seen pictures of this particular item. "It is called a sandwich and I believe it is filled with eggs."

Michael's face fell. "You mean baby chicks are inside it."

"Remember humans are omnivores. Our ancestors were created to eat both meat and vegetables," I told him as he put the sandwich back on the plate.

"It is hard to think of eating actual animals," he said. "It sounds rather wrong."

"Our ancestors would consider what you just did to be wrong," Gershom said surprising both of us by his sudden presence.

Michael recovered first. "What do you mean?" he asked.

"Many cultures were concerned about diseases. They can be transmitted by someone purposely handling an item of food and then giving it to someone else to eat," Gershom said. "As energy beings we no longer have to worry about personal hygiene like they did."

Michael nodded his head while I stared at Gershom wondering why he was talking to us. An awkward silence then fell on the three of us until I broke it. "Do you need something?" I asked him.

"No," Gershom said. "I thought that since we are going to be colleagues we should get to know each other a little better."

I exchanged a puzzled look with Michael. I honestly wasn't sure if I wanted to know this Little Dragon on a personal level. I scrutinized his physical form for a moment. True a Little Dragon can be anything but the physical form chosen did say something about the personality. He was tall, we had similar skin color, he had thick brown hair and intelligent dark brown eyes. I don't think he missed much, and I felt he was doing the same appraisal of my figure.

Michael cleared his throat. "I am feeling like a third wheel," he said.

Gershom and I now exchanged confused looks as we tried to understand his meeting.

"You know," Michael insisted. "It is something our ancestors would say if they felt like they weren't wanted."

"Oh," I said understanding dawning on my face. "You mean fifth wheel."

"Right," Gershom said nodding his head. "Vehicles in the past required four wheels so a fifth wheel would be redundant."

Michael rolled his eyes. "Whatever, I am going to eat now," he said and left us alone.

That ends Part V. Next month is Part VI. If you have enjoyed this piece, please consider giving a donation of time or money to your favorite charity. A few worthwhile local organizations are Safe Futures, Inc., Community Foundation of Eastern Connecticut and Thames Valley Council for Community Action. Together we can make a difference!

Also consider subscribing to this blog!

Comments

  1. A compelling start! Looking forward to learning more about these shape-shifting, sly creatures!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Humanity's Evolution, Part I

Humanity's Evolution, Part II

Social Conundrums, Part XIV